Design Thinking Activities
I am focused on making things happening together with the team. The solution is not anymore into the designer’s hand. Best ideas comes by putting together people from different perspective and insights. My role is to:
– Build a shared understanding of the audience . Highlight the product’s opportunities and pain points.
– Set up a process, create a framework so the team has a vision and is focused in solving the right problem at the right time.
1. Explore as much options as possible by quick ideation and brainstorming
2. Find patterns and connect the dots
3. Converge to the most desirable / viable / achievable solution. It’s a purely a team based activity — stakeholders, users, designers, developers, customer support should be all in.
It is also a truly User Centered Design approach. The team have to create a shared understanding about the audience needs and pain points so we design solutions oriented to help them.
Activities varies depending on time, people, resources but usually includes:
– For building a common understanding about users : User journey reviews, personas creation.
– For the ideation phase: brainstorming, post-up sessions, How Might We questions etc.
– To find pattern & connect the dots : affinity grouping, personas targeting, group-voting on key themes/features
– Converge the the most desirable/viable/achievable solution : the Design Studio technique eg. The group draw sketches of possible interfaces / interactions
User Centered Design
Focusing on what drives the audience.
In order to understand properly the audience and figure out the job they have to do for “hiring” the product there are several activities to do:
Getting Quantitative info:
– Website analytics (measure and define the key metrics)
– Surveys / polls and user feedback
Gathering Qualitative knowledge:
– User interviews and contextual inquiries
– User feedbacks/forums
– User testing sessions
However for the interaction design part, I am currently more oriented on process. I built responsive projects and setup some experiments on flows and frameworks to streamline the process as much as possible.
It is of course an ongoing work in progress as the market is constantly changing regarding new devices and trends.
The process I’m currently using consists mostly of creating:
– Define element collages (or style tiles) for defining and engaging a conversation to set up a visual direction of the product/feature.
– Mock up (as a team) sketches with the mobile first design approach.
– Prototype as soon as possible and validate with the users if it works.
– Create UI toolkit and living styleguides which define the UI design systems.
Ideally we don’t want to design anymore pages, but maintain and iterate on a living prototype constantly updated with the elements designed in the toolkit.
Sydney-based User Experience designer and I love it.
I started my career as “webmaster” in 2005 working for a media company in Paris.
Since I specialised in designing interactions and later on focusing on the big picture, eg. User Experience Design.
I am now a Senior UX Designer at ABC Open focused on improving and defining the design strategy of the product.
I work with a talented team of 10+ amazing people from various background (editorial, marketing, development…).
I embrace the Lean UX methodology and focus on delivering values for the user and viability for the business.
My job is mostly to setup directions and process to achieve realistic goals.
I facilitate workshops, conduct user interviews, define user journeys, analyse audience needs and ideate on realistic team-driven solutions. Please go to my Linkedin profile to get my updated CV.